Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Adventures in Mothering

Tyler and I had a great day today. Started off by heading to the local library for a little story time. Tyler didn't know what to think of it...and was pretty much hanging on to me the first 10 minutes. But it was really fun. Today's topic was ducks...which was perfect because it's his favorite song in the car: one little duck with a feather on his hat...he led the others with a QUACK QUACK QUACK! Anyways, after the story we did Head and Shoulder Knees and Toes. And then Where is Thumpkin? She read another story about ducks (both were counting stories). Then she got out the CD player and some music instruments and played the dance song FREEZE. The kids dance and get really loud with their tambourines, but then listen for the singer to say FREEZE. Tyler really liked that and I'm trying to teach him to shake more when he dances. There was a goodbye song and then it was time to get a sticker. Tyler didn't like the sticker though...he was the only one who cried. The other moms thought it was adorable. I thought it was jammed pack for 30 minutes of free entertainment. Anyways, we will definitely be back and we can't wait for the brand new library to open up (1 mile from our house!!!).

Then after nap time we headed out for some errands and stopped at McDonald's to enjoy his FREE small cone Valentine from a friend. He wasn't too interested in the cone...but enjoyed drinking the big boy water out of a straw. They have a play land, so I thought we'd check it out. We (14 month old and mom) scaled the play land up the circle twisted stairs and through many tunnels, steps, and obstacles and FINALLY went down the slide (which shocked us all the way down). I have to tell you I was getting a little claustrophobic while I was crawling through the tubes and tunnels. (I will have to take my camera and let you all get the full effect of what actually went down today). And Tyler would not go...so I had to push him along a little just to get out of there. I would say it was quite adventurous for me...and I will never do it again. I guess that's why it says ages 3-12. Maybe you can do it on your own in a few years, cuz this mom is not doing that again! He enjoyed it and thankfully he enjoyed chasing the birds more than doing the whole thing again.

And then yesterday was yet a whole other adventure of feeding the ducks, seagulls, and pigeons at Lake Mayer. Oh my...I really thought my/our life was in danger! I had 5-10 seagulls hovering right over my head (like 1-2 feet away, I could have reached up and grabbed them) and at the same time Tyler had these huge ducks with their beaks right in his face. I kept having to lift Tyler up and move him...and with the other 4 hands throw the bread crumbs every which way. It should have been a scene it a movie...it was pretty funny, but scary too. I was beginning to think someone was going to have to rescue us...I only had 3 stale pieces of bread! Tyler LOVED it and chased those birds every which way...laughing and screaming the whole time...he did not want it to end.

So much fun...and many memories.

No comments: